ANDREW O'CONNOR
b. Worcester, Mass. USA 1874 d. Dublin 1941
Works   |   Exhibitions featuring Andrew O'Connor
Born in Worcester, Massachusetts, son of a sculptor of the same name of Irish Scots descent, Andrew O’Connor the Elder, from Larkshire. O’Connor the Younger, studied under his father and probably worked for the sculptor William Ordway Partridge at the Chicago World's Fair 1891-2. In London c.1894-8, met Sargent and assisted him on reliefs for the Boston Library decorations. He sculpted the statue of Justice at the Peace Palace, The Hague, Netherlands.

On return to America, was commissioned through the sculptor D.C. French to make bronze doors for St Bartholomew's Church in New York. Lived c.1903-14 in Paris, where his work was influenced to some extent by Dalou and Rodin, then from 1914 to the mid 1920s in the USA, at Paxton, Massachusetts.

First one-man exhibition at the Kunstsalon Walther Zimmermann, Munich, 1906. Received various commissions for funerary and public monuments mainly in the USA, including the monument to Lincoln at Springfield, Illinois, an equestrian statue of Lafayette at Baltimore and the Theodore Roosevelt memorial at Glen View, Chicago. He Spent his last years in Europe, first in Paris, then from ca.1932 in Ireland and London.

O’Connor stressed his Irish ancestry and presented many of his later works to the Dublin City Gallery the Hugh Lane. This piece is the maquette plaster cast for the head of Deirdre in the Hugh Lane, with its reference to the closing scene of John Millington Synge's ‘Deirdre of the Sorrows’.
previous page
calendar / other activities
Receive regular email updates from Highlanes Gallery. Sign-up to join our mailing list.
sign up
website by callan computers
bookmark this page
Home   |   About   |   Collection   |   Search   |   Shop Online Copyright © Highlanes Gallery Ltd.   |   Privacy Policy
Banbridge District Council The Arts Council Louth County Council INTERREG IIIA
International Fund For Ireland